1.7.10

Canada Day. [day 4]




Lazy day. Being Lazy. This seems to be a common theme in my life. Just last night when I was with my friend, I couldn’t think of the word lazy in Spanish. I wanted to say vago but he told me that it’s better if you say perezoso and for me perezosa because I am a girl. Vago is more of a slacker or a person who just doesn’t want to ever do anything. A slacker I am not. I am Lazy because I am tired and I do a lot. Now, I think I might be getting sick, which inspires me to be lazier but drink water and eat oranges while I am doing it.

Today is Canada Day which sounds weird to say. I want to say Canadian Day or Canada’s Day. But it seems to be Canada Day. To be honest before I came to Argentina I only had really spent time with one person from Canada. She was an artist and very peaceful woman from Vancouver and I loved her strength. I met her when I was living in Arizona. I think her name was Kathy.

For many years after that, working in the restaurant business, I noticed that I didn’t enjoy serving people who turned out to be from Canada. Usually because of the constant jokes they would make. The light hearted attitude they had irritated me while I was busting my ass in a busy restaurant. Couldn’t they see that I didn’t have time for jokes? It became a running joke with my close friends that I didn’t get along with people from Canada.

Over the years, I have analyzed it in my head wondering if it has anything to do with the French influence in Canada. Since, often I meet someone who says they don't like the French.

I have actually been thinking about this for years.

Is it possible that a person could generally not get along with an entire society? I do believe that it is possible. Generally speaking, of course.

Now, I think it is more of an influence of British humor that Canadian’s have. Especially since I have been here, I have seen, that my American mind is not advanced enough to compete with British humor and generally with most of the world in regards to most subjects. However, I get to pull the ‘I’m American’ card out and bash myself. It’s a great tool in regards to humor.

The question still stands: Is it true that I just don’t get along with people from Canada?

Here in Buenos Aires, I do have friends from Canada and my closest friend who is from Montreal is super cool and as we have realized over our conversations, that Chicago and Montreal have a lot of similarities. With music, food and the overall feel of the city. Even the pictures remind me of Chicago. I can’t wait to visit!

In the end, I love the laid back attitude that many Canadians posses and they can be very comfortable people to be around. So, yes, I can get along with people from Canada but maybe I just can’t serve them at my restaurant.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm celebrating Canada Day today too! I've decided to become an honorary Canadian, because of my love for their musicians. My favs: Kathleen Edwards, Jim Cuddy, Blue Rodeo, Jim Bryson, and of course Neil Young. So, today I'm listening to CBCRadio3 all day and imagining what a plate of Poutine might taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, I love their comedians too, the famous ones at least! :)

    ReplyDelete