13.1.10

Mickey D's




Especially, if you are from the US, you know that there is a psychological reaction that happens to you when you see a McDonald’s. Some of us look down at McDonald’s and the people who eat it. Some of us secretly love it. I have to admit, it does bring me an automatic sense of ‘home’.

My friend Genesa recently went to Japan. After days of eating Japanese food she finally broke down and went to McDonald’s. She said that she needed a filling meal. This makes sense to me. I can imagine needing a hamburger after days of sushi, soup and noodles.


Not so in Argentina. For me the only reason that I have been and will continue to go to McDonald’s is for the ice cream. Here they have wisely attached kiosks that sell only ice cream for many of the pedestrian friendly locations. They have dulce de leche soft serve ice cream in a sugar cone for less than 3 pesos and they offer it with a swirl vanilla.


In Argentina, and I know in many other countries, McDonald’s is a special treat for the family and not for the poor. Here there is a massive amount of other fantastic food options and McDonald’s is certainly avoidable.


There is one thing that I would like to do at McDonald’s before I leave. In fluent Spanish, I will order a Big Mac because I am curious to see if the Argentine Beef brings better flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment