12.1.10

The Sun is So Hot ......Oh, Mexico






Being from Chicago, my entire life I have been around Mexican food. One of my best girlfriends in childhood was from Mexico and her family served me tamales. My dad has always cooked enchiladas. My family many times cooks Mexican food for holidays and gatherings. I have worked in restaurants for many years where the kitchen is always cooking Mexican food.

One day, in Chicago, I suggested Mexican food to a person from Argentina. For me, it is part of my culture. But, I didn’t get a good response, the first thing he said was, “Molly, I’m not Mexican!” Now that I am here, I assure you that the people of Argentina are not Mexican.


That day in Chicago, I wasn’t confused if my friend was Mexican or not. But now I understand what he meant. The people in Argentina do not use a lot of spicy ingredients in their food. Their spice is an occasional red pepper flake and, of course, garlic.

I love garlic. But what I am craving is a fresh jalapeno pepper or something really spicy so that my tongue burns.

My friend Wendy, who is Mexican, took me to La Fabrica del Taco on Gorriti 5062. It is one of the few Mexican restaurants in Buenos Aires. First it has a traditional open grill outside where you can sit and order your food. They have traditional homemade beverages that are served just like in Mexican. They make their own chips, which is a treat because Argentina does not have traditional tortilla chips in the grocery stores.

I sat with my un-injured tongue and for a split second pretended to be in Mexico, which made me feel like home.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I like vry much your blog. Great pictures. Keep doing.
    If you want, you can visit my blog.

    Happy new year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, unfortunately, it was something that he had experienced before because of the many un-exposed people from the US. This is a site to raise awareness and break down prejudges. So I am glad that you got the point.

    I am active here and plan of becoming more active! Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete