24.12.09

All I want for Christmas.......




Dear Santa:

All I want for Christmas is a Red onion. Thank you.
Love Molly.




Many of us will be enjoying new electronics, phones, computers or other items that run on electricity over the holidays. All though we may intellectually realize that people in many other countries don't have every household appliance, it is another thing to witness this first hand.

What a decision it can be to purchase these items. In the US, we rarely think about these purchases. Our biggest concern is what brand we want to buy. If we don’t have the money, we get credit.

I, for one, have been living without credit for some time now, so I have adapted to the system that I am currently in. If you don't have money, you don't purchase.

The people talk about not being able to afford electronics. It is true. But some people can afford them, but only if they are able to purchase them in the United States. Because of this they are constantly looking for connections to purchase.


I thought it was strange the first time I saw a very busy shop with daily planners, calendars, paper, pens and stationary. But I quickly realized that in the US, we live our lives with palm pilots and blackberry’s. This is not an option for many of the people in Buenos Aires. They need calendars, pens and paper.

For me, the most frustrating products have been make-up and nail polish. It is expensive and bad quality. Also, I miss other little items, that I took for granted, like a good quality band-aid or a clean chicken breast. Many times, I can find what I used in the US but it isn’t worth the cost. Other times, it is just not available.

What I have enjoyed the most during this holiday season is the lack of capitalism. Here people get together with the ones they love and celebrate. Many of my friends are like Santa for their family because they live in the US; they can purchase items and bring them home for the holidays.

Here in Argentina, if you can afford to buy something, great, but if not, let us eat, dance and sing!




Items that I have issues with, be it cost or quality.

Electronics
Paper towels

Napkins

Band-aids

Make-up

Curling iron

Sun block

Clothes Iron

Nail Polish
Feminine supplies

Gum
Brita filter

Vacuum cleaner

Washer/dryer

Listerine

Kitchen supplies

Cutlery
Contact Solution

No comments:

Post a Comment