1.2.10

Being an Expat


It has been a little over two months since I arrived in Buenos Aires and I am just now beginning to get a little ‘home-sick’ for Chicago.

I miss organization and follow through. I miss relying on a place being open. I miss life not being a treasure hunt. I miss really good service and every type of food in the world.

I miss coffee to-go being common. Side note: When you have a coffee to go here, it’s like wearing a U.S. flag shirt. I rarely drink coffee to-go.

I miss not being stared at. I miss being able to talk to anyone about anything. I miss knowing my surroundings and the people in them. I miss my people. I miss my family and I miss my friends.

But…
I do not feel the urge to back to my old world, just yet.

In my new world, feeling sorry for yourself, is not an option. I am learning to have a great deal of patience and acceptance. I am learning how to listen more. I am learning how to pay attention. I am learning to understand suffering. I am learning about my surroundings and the language. I am going with the flow more. Occasionally, I am even walking slowly.

I am meeting new people every day with different perspectives on life. I meet locals and I meet Expats. I have been building my own community of love and support.

Although, I have shed a couple tears, I have never been one to shy away from difficulty. And, I have come to discover my greatest asset is that I have never been one to shy away from people.

No comments:

Post a Comment