25.1.10

My First Book


For some reason 8 years old was a good year for me. I have many significant memories around the age eight. One of my favorite memories was of my 2nd grade teacher, Ms. Bolsinger, reading the class, Lafcadio: The Lion who Shot Back by Shel Silverstein. It was very significant because it was longest book that I had ever read to the end, about 75 pages. It took us about a week. I remember being on the edge of my seat at every turn, of every page and never wanting it to end. It is a story about a lion who becomes a hunter. It is full of many twists, turns and comedy. It is absolutely a must have for children because it is full of adventure!

I love books because of my mom. My whole life I have loved to wander aimlessly in bookstores. I have a vision of a home with a library. Now that I am here, things aren’t that much different. I love the smell of a bookstore and the idea that someone was behind each book. When I enter into a bookstore, it is like a little oasis. It is quiet and no one bothers you. It is very peaceful.

The other day, I discovered a tiny bookstore off of a very busy street. There was a narrow walkway to the register and stacks after stacks of books. I have been thinking lately that I would like to read a book in Spanish but what? I don’t quite know what book to start with. Just as I was about to walk out of the store, I noticed this book under all the children’s books, at the bottom. I pulled it up to realize that this was the book that I would read. Lafcadio: El Leon Que Devolvio El Disparo by Shel Silverstein.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete