3.12.09

Vereda or Sidewalk




The very first thing I said when I got to Buenos Aires was “My, this place is dangerous!” It is true. The queen of safety was living on the edge. As I familiarized myself with the surrounding areas, I began to realize more of what that meant. Yes, I am at risk of having a very poor person steal my purse inconspicuously but what my clumsy self really needs to watch out for are the sidewalks. There is rarely any long stretch of sidewalk (vereda) without holes or loose tile. Sections of the sidewalk go up or down without warning. And the stray but friendly dogs provide a random poop or enjoy filling in the holes to make what I now call a, pee puddle. The dog waste problem is also due to the dog walkers that will walk 10-20 dogs at one time!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy!! I remember those dog walkers! Insane right? You should definitely head to Uruguay while your there - it is AMAZING, so tranquil - also Patagonia - the most beautiful place on earth as far as I'm concerned. A welcome change from the HUGE city vibe of BA. xo Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to try. This trip has been a huge search for tranquility. xoxo

    ReplyDelete