17.12.09

The Puente de la Mujer




The other night I went to Puerto Madero. This area of town is basically restaurants along a river. There are several types of fancy restaurants in one spot. It is reminiscent of Navy pier in Chicago but without the Disney land effect. It is surrounded by upscale Chicago-like condos and near a Gold coast style Neighborhood. Apparently all the fancy or famous people live in this neighborhood. I don’t quite get the attraction. To be perfectly honest, I probably won’t go back. What I did really enjoy was this beautiful bridge called The Puente de la Mujer (Women's Bridge), designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava . Every street in Puerto Madero is named after women, hence the name. It has a single mast with cables that suspend a portion of the bridge so it can rotate 90 degrees to allow water traffic to pass. When it swings open to make a passage the far end comes to a resting point on a stabilizing pylon. I don’t quite understand this and if I do go back it will be to bear witness to this incredible event.

1 comment: