8.12.09

Fiesta Nacional !!



Today is a holiday in Argentina, The feast of the Immaculate Conception, celebrated on December 8th, was established as a universal feast in 1476 by Pope Sixtus IV. It is an Italian holiday. I thought before I came here that my Argentine friends had too many holidays. But in reality the United States has more holidays. Maybe it’s the fact that the holidays here are many times in the middle of the week, or because of random observations like animal or children’s day. It could be because most people actually take the day off. I am not sure why it feels different. I just get the sense that people here allow themselves time to relax while enjoying their friends and family. Maybe they have no other choice. In the United States we reward our employees when they work a holiday, with overtime, time and a half. In my personal life, the only holiday in 10 years that I know I will have off is Christmas. Yes, I am from a Capitalist Country. And yes, I am enjoying not being in one right now. Yesterday I found a Spanish teacher and my classes begin on Wednesday. She asked me if I could meet in the morning, since it’s after a holiday. I said yes, “What time?” I thought for a moment 9 am or so. She responded 12 noon. Ahhh.....Molly, Welcome to Argentina, Aprovecha!!!

1 comment: