21.8.11

6 1/2 weeks in Europe.

I have always been fascinated by Europe. I love the idea of being one of those writers or artists wandering the streets, meeting people, speaking different languages. To some, it may seem to be an irresponsible thought but for me it's an actual part of who I am. I am a natural traveler and I am an artist. I don't have too much of an attachment to environments or material possessions. I only have attachments to music, art, literature, people and occasionally food. I am the type of traveler who likes to know a little or a lot about the city I am entering into. I will also walk all day to discover new things when I get there. I am a natural tour guide to friends and if we were on a camping trip, I would be the type of person who would go out to the unknown and report back to where everyone is safe by the fire. I can’t tell whether it’s courage or stupidity, feels like a fine line sometimes.

Before I began studying Spanish in 2008, I met a dear friend from Buenos Aires. I told him about my dreams to learn his language and then move to Spain. I had dreamt about Italy for many years prior but set my sights on Spain after working for 13 years in the restaurant business with half Spanish speakers and seeing the usefulness of the language in my own country. When I told this Buenos Aires, friend of my dream, he said very nicely, ‘Molly, I wouldn’t want to get in the way of your vision but why not go to Buenos Aires?’ He explained that it was much cheaper and very similar to the Spanish culture. That evening in the fall of 2008, I went home to begin my research of Buenos Aires, and discovered that not only did it have Spanish influence but also Italian. It was a two in one deal. One year later I moved there.

I fell in love with Buenos Aires and I will always see it as my first love. I stayed there through thick and thin and it never seemed to let me touch the ground. That city was very good to me, I felt very grateful for that because I met a lot of people who didn’t feel that way. I felt very lucky to be there and extremely humbled. After a year and a half, my mind began to dream again in Europe. The problem was that I was earning the peso. That turned out to be around 1000 dollars a month. I saw the other people struggling and dreaming about these places too. I knew that I didn’t have to struggle if I just went back to the states for one summer to work. These were the moments that I felt privileged to the point of guilt.

After one year and a half in Buenos Aires, a full set of friends, a good job and a home, I packed up and left Buenos Aires toward the only “time” in Chicago, summer “time”. I came home for the summer to save money and go to Europe but I have received so much more. I have connected with new friends and old. I met my new nephew, Ryder Robinson Russ for the first time. I have seen the uniqueness and beauty in the city’s world famous architecture like never before. I reconnected with the streets, I plugged back into the rhythm. My favorite part of my return has been to speak with the locals like only a local can. It makes me feel that I am home and safe.

Now, the summer is coming to an end and I am preparing to leave for a 6 ½ week adventure to Europe. I feel so blessed to be living in this time where I could literally see the world in a couple years vs. the whole lifetime it took my family to settle to Chicago from Northern Europe, little over 140 years ago.

I start in Madrid, which is actually a very young city, founded in 1631 after taking over ownership from the Moors. Madrid has birthed many great architects and artists. There is a dreamer type attitude in most all people that I have met from Spain. Also, any person that I have met from there, so far, is very lively, fun and full of energy.

I will move through toward Barcelona and then toward Paris, then possibly Germany but over to see a friend in Krakow. This journey of mine will end in Italy thinking of the Roman Empire and how far I as an individual have come, as well as mankind, some things for good, others with room for improvement. I hope to be able to take all of it in fast enough to report back
to the campfire.

1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait to hear adventures and see photos along the way! Travelling Mercies xoxox

    ReplyDelete