31.7.10

A note to future residents of Buenos Aires.

I have noticed a common theme amongst the ex-pats here in Buenos Aires. Many of us have come here to try something new or to do the thing that we always wanted to do. In many of our minds, there was a little voice that said ‘follow your heart’ or ‘don’t stay stagnant’. Some of us certain on what it is we are following and some of us are not.

I suppose that is like everywhere. But here, it becomes stunningly obvious to each and every one of us. We have all chosen to go very far away from home to do something very different than most and no one wants to screw that up. Each of us comes with different stories, dreams and motivations. Fascinating is the individual who is an Ex-pat.

I see some who are very organized, some who are not. Some are assimilating, some are not. It is very easy to get lost in this city and to disappear from everyone or to change who you are. This is the perfect playground to slack off while discovering one of the many secret little doors of opportunities. I believe that you can’t really understand this city within the first year and maybe not even within several years.

Every ex-pat I know would tell you that Buenos Aires has brought them joy and disappointment within the same day, many times within the same hour. Is that just life? Or is it that Buenos Aires is a city with a unique force, strength and a strong deal of character or perhaps a little drama. Residents know that there is consistently adventures or unexpected situations around the corner.

This is one of the few places in the world that you can safely just come and see what happens to you. It isn’t uncommon. Some just come. Many just come. “Just get there”, I remember these exact words were given to me as advice during my last year in the U.S.

You either come to the point in your life where you believe that everything happens to you for a reason or you don’t. Half of that is what you make of it; the other half is actual opportunities being present. Need a lesson on getting yourself up off the ground, trying again and patience? I would recommend spending a little time in Buenos Aires.

5 comments:

  1. ...i think it's just life, as you posit. there are places, circumstances...situations that amplify the normal vicissitudes. & there are certainly those that deaden them, too. we've experienced & spoken of those. i think if you pick up & haul ass to a place like B.A. you amplify-- find out a bunch o' stuff about yourself real quick. can't hardly help it. stay on the couch hopin' nothing bad happens, nothin' good will either. what y'all are doing kicks copious amounts of ass, in my book. amplification, when you know who you are, is The Way. on the inside label of the 45 for Instant Karma, Lennon had the record company print the words "PLAY LOUD". yeah. do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Mols. You are amazing. While I don't think everyone needs to move out of country to avoid stagnance, I certainly admire the ambition and courage of those who do. The "unexamined life" can be soul-squelching, and I know far too many people who live it, unfortunately.
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I'm your 35th follower...I just found your blog and I love it...Next year I'll be in BA to celebrate my birthday.
    I would love to meet you, but for the time being you can find me at:
    manya-mykitchenstories.blogspot.com

    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have become your 35th follower!
    ...I just found your blog and I love it!
    I have a thing about Buenos Aires. I'm planning to come next year to celebrate my birthday...hope to meet you.

    Please blog some more!

    Un beso!
    manya-mykitchenstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete