29.4.10

VERDULERÍAS




Verdulerias are vegetable shops located on almost every block. When you see so many, it can be a little overwhelming to know which one to choose from. Some of them only sell veggies while others contain a carneceria, selling carne/pollo (Beef/chicken). Occasionally you can find one with a deli counter selling cheese/sandwich meat. You can also pick up your eggs here, for much cheaper than the supermarket.

There are several different factors that go into where to buy your vegetables.


1.Freshness
2.Convenience
3.Product

4.Price

5.Friendliness!


I say friendliness because especially when you are not from here you might not know all the words for all the veggies yet. Plus, in Argentina some of the food words are different than in other Spanish speaking countries. Palta is avocado which many of us know as aguacate. In my experience, it’s always nice to have a friendly person who can understand that you are still learning.


Also, the locals tend to ask for the product from a distance ‘one lettuce please…. and so-on..’ but, again, when you are still learning the words it can be a challenge. You can appear rude when you do it differently but when you have a nice person they understand.


On the etiquette on grabbing the veggies or asking, I know that the locals always ask and never grab. At this point, I have my regular vegetable shops and they know that I am very serious about my food and I will pass up what I need if they can’t provide me with the best quality product. So occasionally, I grab my product. But be sensitive and wait to grab the products! You will be forced to practice your Spanish. Or point!


Also, don't assume that you will always find what you are looking for. It much easier here to cook based off of what is available vs. what you need. One day I went to 10 different shops looking for rosemary. WHEW!


But still, these shops are one of my favorite things about Buenos Aires.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly, nice article!.
    These Vegetable shops are called VERDULERÍAS!.
    We are still waiting for your first article in spanish!.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!! I knew that I spelled it wrong but I just took a chance!

    Poco a Poco!!!

    ReplyDelete