28.2.10

Coldplay at the River Plate


I went to see Coldplay last Friday and it was incredible. The show was fantastic but that wasn’t what was so incredible about it.

The concert was in the same stadium that the River soccer team plays and it is huge. The seats were steps, which didn’t seem strange at first. But as the stadium began to fill up, I realized that there were no aisles for walking. So in order to go to the bathroom for example you needed somehow find a way through the crowd, with no pathway, while on a steep inclination. Very exciting! And the soda and snack venders did this unbelievable well.

For interlude music, someone played “I’m a Hustler Baby,” by Jay-Z. I was one of two people who knew the song, maybe three.

Right before the concert began the crowd became very lively. They all chanted “ole ole ole ole, ole ole!” There was a ton of energy. All the sudden, the left side of the stadium started a wave. It was really cool. They whole stadium did the wave about 4 times before getting bored. During the concert, Chris of Coldplay suggested we do a wave with our cell phones. It looked like the stars. AMAZING! Definitely, the Argentines won over the U.S. in crowd spirit. It was impressive.

There is no alcohol served at these events.

The other thing that stuck me was how musical the crowd was. There was a moment when the band went back stage before the encore. The whole crowd started singing a common thread to a song they liked in order to draw Coldplay back on stage. It was awesome. In my experience, people just scream or chant the name of the Artist.

This whole concert felt different.

After the show, I was talking to my friend about this and I began to think, especially in Chicago, we have so many concerts. Everyone plays in Chicago. Here in Argentina, it is much more special when someone comes to play.

We came to the conclusion that it felt different because there was more excitement and maybe even a bit more appreciation.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I was to Coldpaly's concert as well. I was in the field and believe me this was a very quiet crowd. I've been to other concerts and they were much more lively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was also very mellow but the spirits were still high! It would be amazing to see a 'rowdy' show!

    Thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so right when you wrote that when some band comes to argentina is special... for example i like metalica and depeche mode and metallica played in 2009 and 1990 ..... ten years .... i couldn't go any of both times and i think that i'll have to wait to 2019 now.
    Depeche mode came in 1995 and 2009 ...... 14 YEARS !!!!!!!!!! ...... that's too much...... so when some big band comes is a big event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry ... metallica played in 2009 and 1999

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - how cool! what a beautiful image (which helps go along with the gorgeous photo you posted) Now you are making me want to see a concert (outside other smaller live music I'm sure we'll see). I love the cultural experiences in seeing live music in other countries - it's pretty fascinating.

    ReplyDelete