11.12.09

Cambio


My friends who have been here or who are from here know this issue very well. Change or Coins. The problem is that there isn’t enough in circulation. There are several different reasons why but it’s forcing the people to hoard their change. The first time I spoke to a store owner I had to use the phase, “no tengo cambio,” which means that ‘I have no change.’ The store owner laughed and said to my friend, “She already knows!” Store people do not feel bad about digging through your purse or wallet and being rude while harassing you for change. I have heard this creates many arguments and lost sales. Their cash registers are literally empty of change. I don’t quite understand why Argentina cannot produce more change and put it in circulation. I am sure that is a common curiosity. I read that the buses, that only take change, were selling their change to shop owners on the black market for a 5-8% markup. Allegedly, the city has cracked down on the private bus companies black market. Still there are other sources that are selling for a mark-up. Shop owners are desperate and so are the people. I have noticed that many people walk here. I’m assuming because they would rather save their change for a long bus ride, literally on a rainy day.

3 comments:

  1. Made me think of this: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/first-citywide-change-bank/229045/

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA, Welcome to the first world country. We had a president call Menem, couple years ago that said that we was in the First world. :) and also that by now, we could take a plane and be in Japan in 3 hours. That was our president for 10 years.

    ReplyDelete